Esports are exploding. There isn’t a day that goes by where you don’t hear another story about Fortnite or Twitch or some gamer somewhere making millions sitting in his basement playing games. What was once a hobby for a small group of nerds and geeks is now a worldwide phenomenon that counts hundreds of millions of fans and gamers.
Esports are now bigger than the NHL and MLB combined, and you probably know very little about them.
Here are just a few statistics that will likely shock you:
- People watched 355 billion minutes on Twitch (the most popular game streaming platform in North America) in 2017 – a year over year increase of 22%
- Total esports monetization will reach $3 billion by 2022
- In 2018, $1.4 billion of venture capital has been invested in esports related startups
- There 2.2 billion gamers globally, and 442 million are in China – 57% of all internet users in the country
- 79% of the esports audience is under the age of 35
The esports industry was pioneered by hobbyists – passionate gamers who wanted to turn their passion into a living. As the industry has grown, big business has started to trickle in. The trickle is quickly becoming a wave, and before long, esports will likely surpass all traditional sports in both viewership and dollars (Goldman Sachs produced a study with exactly this conclusion). As both business people and lifelong gamers, we bring a unique perspective. People with a deep understanding of both the games and business is something the industry has lacked, until now.
The rise of esports is an inevitability. It’s very likely something you need to know about and understand:
- If you’re the type of person that would like to understand why this is the single greatest growth industry of the next decade, and how you can participate or take advantage of it, then this site is for you.
- If you’re a marketer, or work at a big brand, then this site is for you.
- If you’re a journalist covering current events, tech, human interest stories, etc, then this site is for you.
This site will serve as a place of discussion and commentary on the industries of e-sports, gaming, and streaming. You will get news, analysis and opinion here. Esports are a complex animal, and it’s important to understand all of the players that make this the phenomenon that it is.
“Esports is either the best kept secret or the most poorly marketed piece of common knowledge for brands.” – Adweek
It is our ambition to bring the esports revolution to mainstream business and to all those it will affect, in a way that is accessible and fun. Hang on to your headphones because the rise of esports is going to be a crazy ride.